Actor Evolution: Domhnall Gleeson


Domhnall Gleeson.  Irish, ginger...phenomenon.  He's got this astonishingly genuine way of acting.  If he's feeling it, so are you.  He tends to play very different characters: I've seen him be a coward, a brainy guy, entirely honorable, lionharted, corrupted, desperate, moonstruck...his range is very impressive.

If he's got a specific character type that he likes to portray over and over, I haven't found it.  He also switches back and forth between leading man and character actor.  What is your favorite role he's done?
1. Boy Eats Girl (2005)

Bernard

Mr. Frears: "What does being Irish mean to you?  Anyone else?  Yes, Bernard?"
Bernard: "Myths and legends, scholars and writers, Joyce, Beckett, Yates."


2. Never Let Me Go (2010)

Rodney

Rodney: "If there was a boy and a girl and they were in love with each other...really, properly in love and they could prove it, then they would be given a few years together.  Before they began their donations."



Bill Weasley

Bill Weasley: "Owe it all to a werewolf, name of Greyback.  Hope to repay the favor one day."


4. True Grit (2010)

Moon

Emmett Quincy: "Don't you go flappin' your gums, Moon!  If you blow, I will kill you!"
Moon: "I'm played out, Qunicy!  We seen Ned and Hayes two days ago..."


5. Dredd (2012)

Clan Techie

Judge: "Open the blast door right now."
Clan Techie: "Yessir, the problem is that we've had a software malfunction and I've lost control of the system.  We've had a fire on level 76."


6. Anna Karenina (2012)

Konstantin Levin

Levin: "You are on the wrong side of history.  Not because privilege is immoral [spits].  But because it is irrational."


7. "Black Mirror" (2013)

Ash

Text: "You could have left me some clothes.  I mean, talk about an undignified entrance."


8. About Time (2013)

Tim

Tim: "Never trust a blueberry."


9. Ex Machina (2014)

Caleb

Ava: "I've never met anyone new before.  Only Nathan."
Caleb: "Then I guess we're both in quite a similar position."
Ava: "Haven't you met lots of new people before?"
Caleb: "None like you."



General Hux

General Hux: "All remaining systems will bow to the First Order and will remember this as the last day of the Republic!"

Do you recognize him?  I cannot wait to see what he chooses to do in the future.  His taste in sci-fi is fantastic!

Here are a few projects of his that I'm interested in, but haven't gotten to just yet:
Frank (2014) because it's got an amazing cast and looks quirky enough that I might love it.
American Made (2017) because I love a good action-comedy.

Every now and again I come across an actor that's showing up in everything I'm watching and highlight my favorite roles.  Here are a few more:

Comments

Popular Posts!

Lady Werewolves from Film & TV

Blue Characters from Film & TV

List: Warrior Women from Film & TV