Actor Evolution: Neal McDonough

You probably recognize Neal McDonough as either a corrupt bad guy or law enforcement.  Every now and then he'll do a straight-up 'good-guy' role and he does excellent voice work for some animation I bet you're not aware of!  Did I mention that he can do comedy, too?  The fact that he has such a broad range when it comes to character-acting means that when you see him pop up, even if it's for a minute, he's going to leave an impression.  He's one of those actors that, if I'm around people, I'll start slapping them on the arm whispering "That's Neal McDonough!!" and listing things they've seen that he's in.  It's okay to be excited about people, okay?


Whitt Bass

George Knox: "And you're a jackass!"
Norton: "No, I'm a pitcher."
Whitt Bass: "Well, you're a pitcher and a jackass."
Jose Martinez: "Si, it's very common."


2. "Iron Man" (1995)

Firebrand

Firebrand: "This corrupt world will listen to us!  Our bold actions tonight will fore them to.  I will not be ignored.  The people's exploitation by the rich is a great tyranny, and the worst among many tyrants is Tony Stark!"



Lt. Sean Hawk

Riker: "How much damage, Lieutenant?"
Hawk: "I can't tell.  Long-range sensors are still offline."
Picard: "We'll have to go down there.  Find out what happened."


4. "The Incredible Hulk" (1996)

Bruce Banner

Jennifer Walters: "I've never seen you so angry before."
Bruce Banner: "Oh, that wasn't angry.  Seeing my angry isn't something you'd be likely to forget."


5. Ravenous (1999)

Private Reich

Colhoun: "Private Reich, he's our soldier.  I'd steer clear of him."


6. "The X-Files" (1993)

Agent Robert Comer

Kersh: "Agent Comer - our underover man - was sent to infiltrate the cult...based on a series of...threats."


7. Minority Report (2002)

Officer Fletcher

Officer Fletcher: "John, don't run."
John Anderton: "You don't have to chase me."
Officer Fletcher: "You don't have to run."
John Anderton: "Everybody runs, Fletch."


8. Timeline (2003)

Frank Gordon

Gordon: "Trust me-we're in 1357 France."


9. Walking Tall (2004)

Jay Hamilton

[Chris throws a 2x4 through a window, shattering it]
Jay Hamilton: "I guess that changes our relationship a bit, huh?"


10. The Hitcher (2007)

Lieutenant Esteridge

Esteridge: "I don't give a rat's cock bag how you do it.  You will pull them over."


11. "Tin Man" (2007)

Wyatt Cain

Cain: "Zipper head-keep your mouth shut.  Kid you stay behind me."
DG: "Why the sudden change of heart?"
Cain: "Believe me, heart's got nothing to do with it."



M. Bison

Bison: "When people are hungry, there's nothing they won't do."


13. "Desperate Housewives" (2004)

Dave Williams

Karen McCluskey: "'Cause I know you're up to something.  Something awful."
Dave Williams: "You don't know what awful is.  Well, you take care of yourself, Karen.  I mean that."



Oliver Queen/Green Arrow

Princess Perdita: "You lost?"
Green Arrow: "Yeah, but I've been practicing.  A lot."



Timothy 'Dum Dum' Dugan

Dum Dum Dugan: "Hell, I'll always fight.  But you gotta do one thing for me."
Steve Rogers: "What's that?"
Dum Dum Dugan: [Downs the rest of his beer] "Open a tab."
[They laugh as Steve gets up and goes to the bar]
Dum Dum Dugan: "Well, that was easy."


16. "Justified" (2010)

Robert Quarles

Robert Quarles: "He slipped the hillbilly rug right out from under my feet."
Raylan Givens: "I'm just gonna file that under "Who gives a shit?"


17. RED 2 (2013)

Jack Horton

Jack Horton: "Hi there.  Um, my client Frank Moss is here.  He's an American citizen being detained illegally and without due process.  You know what?  That is a lovely blazer."


18. "Mob City" (2013)

Captain William Parker

Parker: "No dead heroes, just good police work."



Deadshot/Floyd Lawton

Deadshot: "Go ahead.  You're out of bullets."
Joker: "I am not!"
Deadshot: "You are.  You're going to pull the trigger, and when nothing happens, I'm going to punch you in the throat and bash your brains out.  Three...two...one..."


20. "Arrow" (2012)

Damien Darhk

Damien Darhk: "Oh, you brought arrows to a gun fight."
Green Arrow: "What guns?" [turns on magnetic arrow that pulls away the A.R.G.U.S. agents' guns]
Damien Darhk: "Oh, that was actually pretty clever.  Kill them."

You have to recognize him by now, right?!  What's your favorite role he's done?

Here are some other titles of his I'd love to see:
Brothers Three: An American Gothic (2007) because the setup and the rest of the cast look solid.
Bad Country (2014) because it's a mob movie set in Baton Rouge.
For a full list of his acting credits, check out his IMDB page.

Every now and again I do a spotlight on an actor that's showing up in everything I'm watching.  Check out the others:

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts!

Lady Werewolves from Film & TV

Blue Characters from Film & TV

List: Warrior Women from Film & TV