Actor Evolution: Clancy Brown


Are you wondering who this man is, or why he looks so familiar?  I bet if you scroll through this whole post, not only will you discover that you already know him, but you're already a fan.  Clancy Brown is known for playing diabolical villains, military or the police and quirky side characters.  ...And that doesn't begin to scratch the surface of what this man has contributed to voice acting.

Need a deep, threatening voice to bring a character to life in animation?  He's definitely a go-to.  That doesn't stop him from showing up in the the most random live-action things.  He does it all..and hopefully we'll just continue to be surprised and delighted when we see or hear him.

1. Highlander (1986)

Victor Kruger/The Kurgan

News Reporter: [The garage is watered from the sprinklers.  It also left a man's decapitated body lying on the floor next to his own severed head.  The had, which of this time, has no name.]
Kurgan: "I know his name."



Roger Lassen

Kevin: "We're going straight to hell."
Roger: "Yeah maybe, Kevin...but what a ride it's gonna be."



Captain Byron T. Hadley

Captain Hadley: "If I hear so much as a mouse fart in here the rest of the night I swear by God and sonny Jesus you will all visiit the infirmary.  Every last motherfucker in here."


4. "Gargoyles" (1994-1996)

Hakon

Viking Warrior: "Attacking a castle full of gargoyles near nightfall, this is crazy!  And Hakon knows it!
Hakon: [grabs warrior] "No, my friend, that's not crazy.  Questioning my sanity when I'm in earshot, THAT'S crazy!"


Wolf

Wolf: "Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim.  Wolves gotta hunt!"



Lex Luthor

Lex: [About Superman] "No one man should have that much power."



Sergeant Zim

Career Sergeant Zim: "Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss your mommy, QUIT!  You sign your 1240-A, get your gear and you take a stroll down washout lane.  Do you get me?"


7. The Hurricane (1999)

Lt. Jimmy Williams

Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter: "You think I killed them people?"
Lt. Jimmy Williams: "I don't know, Rubin.  I don't know."


8. "Spongebob Squarepants" (1999-Now)

Mr. Krabs

Mr. Krabs: "Wait!  Don't shoot!  Okay, okay, shoot me-but don't take me money!"


9. "Batman Beyond" (2000)

Big Time

Big Time: "At least now I'm gonna get the respect I deserve!"


10. "The Powerpuff Girls" (2001)

Mascumax

Mascumax: "Men of Earth, witness the coming of MASCUMAX!"



Granter of Wishes

Granter of Wishes: "I cannot raise the dead...but I can give you a queen."


12. "Star Trek: Enterprise" (2002)

Zobral

Trip Tucker: "What are these, uh, little chunks?"
Zobral: "The essence of male.  Chopped and seasoned."


13. "Teen Titans" (2003)

Trident

Trident: "I am excellence.  I am perfection.  I am Trident."



Mr. Krabs

Squiward Tentacles: "One-hundred and one dollars for a Krabby Patty?"
Mr. Eugene H. Krabs: "With cheese, Mr. Squidward.  With cheese."


15. "Carnivàle" (2003-2005)

Brother Justin Crowe

Brother Justin: "You always knew what was inside of me."


16. "Justice League" (2002-2006)

Lex Luthor

Joker: "But seriously, Lex, you need me."
Lex Luthor: "Like I need a skin-rash."
Joker: "Maybe, but I know something you don't know."
[Holds up a bat-shaped homing device]
Joker: "I know how the Bat thinks."


17. "Lost" (2006)

Kelvin Inman

Kelvin: "See that brown stain there?  That's Radzinsky.  He put a shotgun in his mouth while I was asleep.  The bitch of it was I only had 108 minutes to bury the poor bastard."



Long Feng

Long Feng: "What's most important to his royal majesty is maintaining the cultural heritage of Ba Sing Se.  It's my job to oversee the rest of the city's resources, including the military."


19. "The Batman" (2004-2007)

Victor Fries/Mr. Freeze

Mr. Freeze: "That would be the hypothermia setting in."


Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor: "We put our faith in aliens.  Well, no more.  Only humans should be in charge of Earth's destiny."


20. "Wolverine and the X-Men" (2008-2009)

Nathaniel Essex/Mister Sinister

Mister Sinister: "You dare come after me?  As if Sinister was the name of a common thug you could intimidate?"



Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor: [to Superman] "I can't think of a morning I haven't woken up with the thought of strangling you.  That sanctimonious image of yours fooled everyone except me."



Alan Smith

Alan Smith: [to Nancy] "You listen to me.  As far as everyone around here is concerned, Fred Kruger never existed."


23. Green Lantern (2011)

Parallax

Parallax: [to Hal] "You wear the ring of the Lantern that imprisoned me.  You will suffer the same fate."


24. Cowboys & Aliens (2011)

Meacham

Jake Lonergan: "I've been shot."
Meacham: "Only two kinds of men get shot: criminals and victims.  Which one are you?"



Dr. Albert Marconi

Dr. Albert Marconi: "I suppose you are wondering where you are."
David Wong: "I'm gonna guess we're in an alternate universe of some kind."


26. "Young Justice" (2012)

King Faraday

Faraday: "Another city last week, another tech firm robbed.  Another stop on your tour."


27. "The Legend of Korra" (2012)

Yakone

Young Tarrlok: "What's bloodbending?"
Yakone: "The most powerful and feared form of bending in the world.  It was declared illegal thanks to that coward, Katara.  You boys have this power inside of you and I will teach you to master it."


28. "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" (2011-2013)

Savage Opress

Savage Opress: "What now, brother?  Do we go after them?"
Darth Maul: "No, we will be patient, Savage.  I've waited so many years for my revenge, I can wait a little longer."


29. Homefront (2013)

Sheriff Keith Rodrigue

Phil Broker: "Am I in trouble here?"
Sheriff: "No, no.  I saw what happened.  He was out of line."


30. "The Flash" (2013-2014)

General Wade Eiling

Barry Allen: "You will get what's coming to you eventually."
General Wade Eiling: "I'm not ashamed of my actions, Mr. Allen.  You've seen what these meta-humans are capable of.  Soon, your prison won't be enough."



Red Hulk

Red Hulk: "Ha!  You think you can out smash old Red?  Hail to the smashing king!"


Black Bolt

Black Bolt: [whispers] "Smash."


Kree Supreme Intelligence

Kree Supreme Intelligence: "Intruder's brain power has been rated low.  Not worth absorbing."


32. "Star Wars Rebels" (2015-2016)

Ryder Azadi

Ezra Bridger: "I know you, don't I?"
Ryder Azadi: "I was the Governor of Lothal.  I supported your parents and the messages they beamed out against the Empire."


33. Hail, Caesar! (2016)

Gracchus

Baird Whitlock: [as Caesar] "The Light of God."
Gracchus: "You mean, Of the Gods."
Baird Whitlock: "I do not, friend Gracchus."


34. "Daredevil" (2016)

Colonel Ray Schoonover

Foggy Nelson: "Fish in a barrel."
Colonel Ray Schoonover: "So to speak.  Only fish don't know they're going to die.  These men did."


35. "Sleepy Hollow" (2013-2016)

Sheriff August Corbin

Lt. Abbie Mills: "What's wrong with your face?"
Sheriff August Corbin: "My face is expressive.  Age is the price of wisdom."


36. Warcraft (2016)

Blackhand

Blackhand: "This is Mak'Gora, we will respect our tradition.  Keep fighting!"

So, are you a fan yet?  Is your favorite Clancy Brown role listed, or have I not had the opportunity to watch it?  Suggestions are always welcome!

Here are some projects of his that I'm interested in, but haven't gotten to just yet:
The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai (1984)-I mean, that title alone...
Cast a Deadly Spell (1991)-Based on the time this was made and the subject matter, I really don't know why I haven't seen this yet.
"Lloyd in Space" (2001-2004) because it's a cartoon about aliens.
Hellbenders (2012)  'Cause it looks like my kinda movie.
Sparks (2013)-it's a decently rated original vigilante film, so...
See all of Clancy's roles on his IMDB page.

Did you enjoy this post?  Here are others like it:

Comments

Popular Posts!

Lady Werewolves from Film & TV

Blue Characters from Film & TV

List: Warrior Women from Film & TV