Actor Evolution: James Callis


You know how you'll see an actor and he looks just so familiar but you just can't remember where you've seen him (or her) before?  That's why I'm doing these.  First up is James Callis.

He primarily pops up on TV shows for an episode or two, or he'll get a bit part in a movie.  Every now and again he'll get  a semi-lead role.  He seems to be the go-to for a smarmy or unsavory nefarious villain.  I think he's pretty good at it.   Let's see if you know him.
1. Arabian Nights (2000)

Prince Ahmed

Prince Ahmed: [On being asked to shoot an apple from a boy's head while blindfolded] "I cannot do it."
Buddhist Monk: "The prize is worth it."
Prince Ahmed: "Not for the boy...!"



Tom

Tom: "Well done, Bridge.  Four hours of careful cooking and a feast of blue soup, omelette and marmalade.  I think that deserves a toast, don't you?  To Bridget!  Who cannot cook, but who we love [in an undertone] just as she is."
Tom, Shazzer, Jude: "To Bridget, just as she is."


3. Helen of Troy (2003)

Menelaus

Menelaus: "War is waged by nations, but it is human beings who pay the price."


4. "Battlestar Galactica" (2003)

Gaius Baltar

Number Six: "If you're really a Cylon, one of the final five, then these feelings are just part of your programming.  Part of your cover."
Dr. Gaius Baltar: "And if I'm a human being after all, if I'm not one of the final five, then this is the last chance I'll get to see my kind again."


5. Merlin (2011)

Borden

Borden: "Go away!"
Merlin: "All right, but you won't get into the vaults without me."
Borden: [chuckles] "And how's a boy like you gonna help?"
Merlin: "Because I'm the personal servant of King Arthur."


6. "Eureka" (2010)

Dr. Trevor Grant

Allison: "What about you?  You haven't said anything about who you're seeing..."
Dr. Grant: "A tall-legged blonde in a slinky red dtress."
Allison: "Hmm, old girlfriend?"


7. Austenland (2013)

Colonel Andrews

Colonel Andrews: "It would appear to be my duty to gaze into your eyes.  I'm a military man, I'd never shirk my duty."


8. "Arrow" (2013)

The Dodger

The Dodger: "Why are you doing this?  I'm exactly like you.  I only steal from the rich."
Arrow: "I'm not Robin Hood."


9. "The Musketeers" (2014)

Emile Bonnaire

Porthos: "Any hidden weapons we should know about?"
Bonnaire: "Er, no.  No, I never carry any concealed weapons."
Porthos: [finds a pistol] "Hmm."
Bonnaire: "I completely forgot about that one."
Porthos: "Hm.  Easily done."


So, what do you think?  Is he typecast too much?  I've only listed movies and shows I've seen him in.

Here are some other titles of his I'd love to see:
Victoria & Albert (2001) because I love a good British romance.
Merlin and the Book of Beasts (2010) probably to punish myself.
For a list of his complete appearances, visit his IMDB page.

Every now and again I do a spotlight on an actor that's showing up in everything I'm watching.  Check out the others:

Comments

Popular Posts!

Lady Werewolves from Film & TV

Blue Characters from Film & TV

List: Warrior Women from Film & TV