List: Warrior Women from Film & TV


I just love watching some badass woman go all berserk and kick the guys' (and other girls') asses.  Especially when they laugh and call her things like 'little girl' first.  This is a live-action list of those women.
Criteria:
-Must be in a fantasy or period piece (exceptions where time-travel or feudalism is involved).
-Must wear some type of armor (cloth, fur, etc. armor acceptable).
-Must actually be capable of fighting (not just wearing armor for show).
-Must wield a weapon other than a gun (i.e. a staff, a bow, a sword, etc).

They are listed alphabetically according to the movie or show they appeared in.  If you can think of anyone I've missed, feel free to leave a comment.


Artemisia played by Eva Green

Artemisia: "Steel and flesh...life and death...war."



Alice Kingsleigh played by Mia Wasikowska

Alice: "Off with your head."


3. AQUAMAN (2018)

Mera played by Amber Heard

Mera: "Sometimes you have to do what's right, even if your heart is against it."

Side NoteThis character played by this actress has appeared in these films as well: Justice League (2017).


Atlanna played by Nicole Kidman

Atlanna: "You're afraid. Good."


4. "ARROW" (2012)

Nyssa al Ghul played by Katrina Law

Nyssa: "Are you so lost you'd deprive me of my justice?"
Arrow: "This isn't justice.  It's vengeance."
Nyssa: "Vengeance is justice."


5. ASSASSIN'S CREED (2016)

Maria played by Ariane Labed

Maria: "When I die today don't waste your tears."


6. "BEASTMASTER" (1999)

Arina played by Marjean Holden

Dar: "We'll each have to take two of them at the same time."
Arina: "Is that all?"


7. BLACK PANTHER (2018)

Nakia played by Lupita Nyong'o

Nakia: "It is my duty to fight for who I...for the things I love."


Okoye played by Danai Gurira

Okoye: "Guns?  So primitive!"


Shuri played by Letitia Wright

Shuri: "Just because something works doesn't mean that it cannot be improved."


8."BRITANNIA" (2017)

Kerra played by Kelly Reilly

Kerra: "I won't be bound to any man."


Emena played by Annabel Scholey

Emena: "May the gods protect you."


Queen Antedia played by Zoe Wanamaker

Antedia: "I shit on the souls of your dead!"


Ania played by Liana Cornell

Ania: "You may be doing nothing. I'm busy forging a destiny."


Hella played by Laura Donnelly

Cait: "Who are you?"
Hella: "I'm death."


Islene played by Callie Cooke

Islene: "She listened. Then she did what she wanted."
Cait: "Did Dad know that?"
Islene: "All men know that."


9. "CAMELOT" (2011)

Morgan played by Eva Green

Morgan: "Games of men exhaust me."


10. CENTURION (2010)

Etain played by Olga Kurylenko

Arianne: "If Etain is hunting you, you might as well be dead already."


Aeron played by Axelle Carolyn

Aeron: "We should kill them all."



Jadis the White Witch played by Tilda Swinton

Jadis: "I have no interest in prisoners.  Kill them all."



Susan Pevensie played by Anna Popplewell

Susan: [Aiming her bow and arrow at the Telmarines who have Trumpkin tied up in their boat] "Drop him!"



Valeria played by Sandahl Bergman

Valeria: "Ha! Do you know what horrors lie beyond that wall?"
Conan: "No."
Valeria: "Then you go first."



Zula played by Grace Jones

Zula: "I'll spread your head open!"


Queen Taramis played by Sarah Douglas

Taramis: "Do you know who I am?"


15. "CONAN' (1997)

Red Sonja played by Angelica Bridges

Red Sonja: "They did send their best warrior, mule brain!"



Marique played by Rose McGowan

Marique: "Did you know I met your barbarian when he was a boy?  And I took this sword from him."



Queen Brunhild played by Kristanna Loken

Brunhild: "Face the fate my gods have chosen."


18. "DOMINION" (2014)

Uriel played by Katrine De Candole

Uriel: "You have my sword."


19. "DOCTOR WHO" (1963)

Leela played by Louise Jameson

Leela: "When aiming for the heart, we were always taught to strike under the breast bone."


20. "DOCTOR WHO" (2005)

Alaya played by Neve McIntosh

Alaya: "I know which one of you will kill me.  Do you?"


21. DUNE (1984)

Chani played by Sean Young

Chani: "I would not have allowed you to hurt my people."


22. DUNGEONS & DRAGONS (2000)

Norda played by Kristen Wilson

Norda: "I'm two hundred and thirty-four."


Empress Savina played by Thora Birch

Savina: "Know one thing...I am not afraid."


23. ELIZABETH (1998)

Mary of Guise played by Fanny Ardant

Mary of Guise: "Tell that bastard Queen not to send children to fight Mary of Guise!"



Queen Elizabeth I played by Cate Blanchett

Elizabeth: "I, too, can command the wind, sir!  I have a hurricane in me that will strip Spain bare if you dare to try me!"


25. ERAGON (2006)

Arya played by Sienna Guillory

Norda: "How will he tell the king?  You failed."


Nasuada played by Caroline Chikezie

Nasuada: "."


26. "FRONTIER" (2016)

Sokanon played by Jessica Matten

Sokanon: "Let me go with you and I'll finish this with one arrow."


27. "GALAVANT" (2015)

Princess Isabella played by Karen David

Isabella: "You're no hero."


Roberta played by Clare Foster

Roberta: "You couldn't wait thirty more seconds to come back from the dead, huh?"


28. "GAME OF THRONES" (2011)

Brienne of Tarth played by Gwendoline Christie

Brienne: "All my life men have sneered at me.  And all my life I've been knocking men like you into the dust."


Ygritte played by Rose Leslie

Jon Snow: "I know one thing.  I know that you are wilding to the bone."


Yara Greyjoy played by Gemma Whelan

Balon Greyjoy: "She's commanded men.  She's killed men.  She knows who she is."


Tyene Sand played by Rosabell Laurenti Sellers

Tyene: "My dagger was coated with a special ointment.  If a single drop makes contact with the skin...death."


Obara Sand played by Keisha Castle-Hughes

Bron: "It's against my code to hurt a woman."
Obara: "It's amazing how many men we've beat seemed to have this code."


Nymeria Sand played by Jessica Henwick

Nymeria: "I'm better than you.  Have I ever missed...once?"


29. HERCULES (2014)

Atalanta played by Ingrid Bolsø Berdal

Atalanta: "We will fight for you, and we will die for you!"


30. "HIGHLANDER" (1992)

Ceirdwyn played by Kim Johnston Ulrich

Ceirdwyn: "You don't want to be the one I'm looking for."



Tauriel played by Evangeline Lilly

Tauriel: "You like killing things, Orc?  You like death?  Then let me give it to you!"



Sara played by Jessica Chastain

Sara: "I never miss."


Queen Freya played by Emily Blunt

Freya: "Men have forgotten what it means to be afraid.  We will bring fear."


33. I, FRANKENSTEIN (2014)

Keziah played by Caitlin Stasey

Keziah: "We have always been outnumbered in battle."



Muriella played by Leelee Sobieski

Muriella: "Must you always appear so suddenly from nowhere?"


35. "INTO THE BADLANDS" (2015)

The Widow played by Emily Beacham

The Widow: "The appearance of weakness is the greatest advantage."


Tilda played by Ally Ioannides

Tilda: "Natural ability is no substitute for hard work."


Nix played by Ella-Rae Smith

Nix: "When we stop being useful weapons, he'll get rid of us."


Odessa played by Maddison Jaizani

Odessa: "Hey asshole, shut up and listen to her."


Kannin played by Eugenia Yuan

Kannin: "I want you to remember who you are."


36. IRONCLAD (2011)

Lady Isabel played by Kate Mara

Lady Isabel: [Picks up sword] "If they do come, I'll need to know how to use this."



Princess Isabelle played by Eleanor Tomlinson

Princess Isabelle: "Who says I'm running away from anything?  Maybe I'm running towards something."


38. "JOAN OF ARC" (1999)

Joan D'Arc played by Leelee Sobieski

Joan D'Arc: "Come out, that I may send you to hell!"


39. JOHN CARTER (2012)

Dejah Thoris played by Lynn Collins

Dejah Thoris: [Cleans the blood off the sword with John's clothes] "You let me know when it gets dangerous."


40. KING ARTHUR (2004)

Guinevere played by Keira Knightley

Lancelot: "You look frightened.  There's a large number of lonely men out there."
Guinevere: "Don't worry, I won't let them rape you."


41. THE LAST LEGION (2007)

Mira played by Aishwarya Rai

Aurelius: "I told you to stay on the boat."
Mira: "You will need my help."
Aurelius: "You know what happens to a soldier of mine who disobeys an order?"
Mira: "Your men are too slow."



Kahlan Amnell played by Bridget Regan

Kahlan: "If I ever see her again, I'll kill her."


Cara Mason played by Tabrett Brethell

Cara: "If you'd given me the task, sir, he'd already be dead."


Denna played by Jessica Marais

Denna: "I do enjoy a challenge.  Shall we begin?"


Triana played by Charisma Carpenter

Triana: "I demand an honorable death!"



Eowyn played by Miranda Otto

Eowyn: "The women of this country learned long ago, those without swords can still die upon them.  I fear neither death nor pain."


44. "LOST GIRL" (2010)

Tamsin played by Rachel Skarsten

Tamsin: "You should be unconscious by now."


Rosette played by Casey Hudecki

Rosette: "Where do we begin, my liege?"


45. "THE LOST WORLD" (1999)

Queen Selena played by Bianca Roe

Queen Selena: "Our society isn't based on a hatred of men.  It's based on a desire to exult women."


46. MAN OF STEEL (2013)

Faora-Ul played by Antje Traue

Faora: "You will not win.  For every human you save, we will kill a million more."


46. "MARCO POLO" (2014)

Princess Khutulun played by Claudia Kim

Khutulun: "Should I be afraid?"



Evil-Lyn played by Meg Foster

Evil-Lyn: "After all this time, Greyskull is ours."


48. "MERLIN" (2008)

Morgana played by Katie McGrath

Arthur: "You could be hurt."
Morgana: "So could you...if you don't get out of my way."


Morgause played by Emilia Fox

Arthur: "You're a skilled swordsman.  Woman.  Swords...swordswoman."


Isolde played by Miranda Raison

Isolde: "We would like to fight at your side."



Joan of Arc played by Milla Jovovich

Joan of Arc: "You, who claimed to be my judges, you'll be careful.  For you too, one day, will be judged."



Hua Mulan played by Wei Zhao

Hua Mulan: "I never imagined I would achieve any accompllishments, not to mention that one day I would become a butcher on the battlefield."


51. "ONCE UPON A TIME" (2011)

Mulan played by Jamie Chung

[Mulan gets into a fight with Claude, during which her helmet falls off]
Claude: "Wait - you're a..."
[She punches him in the face]
Mulan: "Yeah, I know."


52. OUTLANDER (2008)

Freya played by Sophia Myles

Freya: "If you truly believe you write the tale of your life, then the end is up to you."



Annabeth played by Alexandra Daddario

Annabeth: "Did you really think it would be that easy?"


Athena played by Melina Kanakaredes

Athena: "I am so proud of you."



Queen Maud played by Allison Pill

Maud: "I can be your lioness."



Elizabeth Swann played by Keira Knightley

Elizabeth: "We will fight.  And you will die."


56. RED SONJA (1985)

Red Sonja played by Brigitte Nielsen

Kalidor: "I know you're a brave girl, but danger is my TRADE."
Red Sonja: "If danger is a trade, I'll learn it by myself."


57. "RIVERWORLD" (2010)

Tamoe Gozen played by Jeananne Goossen

Tamoe: "I am Tamoe Gozen!  Swordswoman of the Minamoto Clan!  Champion, consort and war-captain to Kisoe Yoshinaka!  I bow to no man!"

58. "ROAR" (1997)

Caitlin played by Vera Farmiga

Caitlin: "I think we've finally found our demon."


59. ROBIN HOOD (2010)

Marion played by Cate Blanchett

Marion: "Girl? Either you've grown blind or come looking for charity."


60. SHROUD (2009)

Victoria Celestine played by Nicole Leigh

Victoria Celestine: "I eventually realized it wasn't Saint Nicholas leaving battle-axes under the Christmas tree."


61. "SMALLVILLE" (2001)

Kara Zor-El played by Laura Vandervoort

Kara: [As a comet fragment heads toward Metropolis] "Well, girl...you always wanted to save the world..."



Snow White played by Kristen Stewart

Snow White: "Death favors no man.  We must ride like thundering waves under the tattered flag of my father."


63. "SPARTACUS" (2010)

Naevia played by Cynthia Addai-Robinson

Naevia: "It is no easy thing, to cleave a man's head from his shoulders in one blow."


Saxa played by Ellen Hollman

Saxa: "Yet another head I would see on a pike."


64. "STARGATE SG-1" (1997)

Ishta played by Jolene Blalock

Ishta: "I could not sit back and watch my sisters be murdered and do nothing."


65. SUICIDE SQUAD (2016)

Enchantress played by Cara Delevingne

Enchantress: "Why do you serve those who cage you?"


66. THOR (2011)

Sif played by Jaimie Alexander

Sif: "I've got this completely under control!"
Thor: "Is that why everything's on fire?"


67. THOR: RAGNAROK (2017)

Valkyrie played by Tessa Thompson

Valkyrie: "So, if I'm gonna die, well, it might as well be driving my sword through the heart of that murderous hag."



Amelia played by Zita Görög 

Amelia: "We must move quickly before they turn."



Sonja played by Rhona Mitra

Sonja: "I need no saving!"


70. THE VIKING QUEEN (1967)

Salina played by Carita

Salina: "Kill then!  You are a soldier-do your duty!"


71. "VIKINGS" (2013)

Lagertha played by Katheryn Winnick

Lagertha: "You couldn't kill me if you tried for a hundred years."


Porunn played by Gaia Weiss

Bjorn: "What do you want from me?"
Porunn: "Respect."


Torvi played by Georgia Hirst

Torvi: "It is all the same with we women.  We just give birth to the slaughtered."


Astrid played by Josefin Asplund

Astrid: "I will protect you."


72. WARCRAFT (2016)

Garona played by Paula Patton

Garona: "He wishes to lie with me."
Khadgar: "I beg your pardon?"
Garona: "You would be injured."


73. WARRIOR QUEEN (2003)

Boudica played by Alex Kingston

Boudica: "I give this sword from the living to the dead...and those to come."


74. WILLOW (1988)

Sorsha played by Joanne Whalley

Madmartigan: "I don't love her!  She kicked me in the face!"


75. "WONDER WOMAN" (1975)

Wonder Woman played by Lynda Carter

Wonder Woman: "You obviously have little regard for womanhood.  You must learn respect!"


76. WONDER WOMAN (2017)

Wonder Woman played by Gal Gadot

Diana: [examining a corset on display at a department store] "Is this what passes for armor in your country?"

Side Note: This character played by this actress has appeared in these films as well: Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016), Justice League (2017) and Wonder Woman 1984 (2020).


77.  WRATH OF THE TITANS (2012)

Andromeda played by Rosamund Pike

Andromeda: "We may not be gods, but we do what people say can't be done.  We hope when there isn't any...whatever odds we face, we prevail."


Did you like this list?  Someone missing?  Check out my sister-lists:
Warrior Women of Film & TV: The 100
Warrior Women of Film & TV: Xena & Hercules (coming soon)
Warrior Women of Film & TV: Wonder Woman (coming soon)
Who's your favorite warrior woman?  Is she listed above or do I need reminding of someone?  Let me know in the comments below!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts!

Lady Werewolves from Film & TV

Blue Characters from Film & TV