Book Review: Chew Vol 1 by John Layman

Chew, Vol. 1: Taster's ChoiceChew, Vol. 1: Taster's Choice by John Layman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"You'd rather die than go to jail? Fine. But I'm still getting those names."

You know how you hear about a "good" story and then dismiss it, only to discover that you should have listened and read it the first time someone mentioned it to you? That's Chew for me.

The humor is bone-dry and the protagonist isn't prestented as physically strong or classicly handsome. He appears average in almost every way, which is, immediately, charming. He is described as "by-the-book", but his actions can be extremely rebellious at times. I like that he's not just any one thing.

The art was amazingly and cartoonishly exaggerated and it was dead-on.

The plot threw me. I expected a current-day story and got a current-day alternate history revolving around poultry. Not to mention the very specific, very awkward powers of the protagonists. I'm extremely interested in where this goes next. It's weird and it's just my cup of tea.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts!

Lady Werewolves from Film & TV

Blue Characters from Film & TV

List: Warrior Women from Film & TV