Book Review: Skinwalker


Skinwalker by Faith Hunter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"Unlike more primitive peoples, intellectual, well-educated humans just pretended the things they didn’t understand didn’t exist."

Well, it looks like I'm rating this book a 4 out of 5 the second time around, too. I think it just hit all my buttons. The last time I tried to listen to it in audio. Didn't like it. This time, I did the ebook, which I enjoy because I highlight everything.

Jane is not the most sociable creature to begin with, but she also shares her mind and body with a big cat named Beast. Beast is all about the baser instincts and everything that that probably implies. She wants to be dominant, fight everyone and have some 'kits.' It's fun watching their interaction whether Beast or Jane is in charge at the time.

The mystery was a little lacking because I had suspicions, and then was thrown for a loop, but it ended up being the person I originally suspected. I didn't remember the end from my last reading, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I couldn't find any new faults with the story or characters outside of that. I grew up right outside New Orleans, so I'm sure that pulled me in a bit more than other stories might. It was great...especially the locals and their Cajun accents, along with descriptions of the French Quarter and how it's constantly muggy even in the wind. Well done. I'm hoping to enjoy the rest of the series just as much, if not more.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts!

Lady Werewolves from Film & TV

Blue Characters from Film & TV

List: Warrior Women from Film & TV