On the Telly: Tidelands (2018)


The first time I heard (read) about this show, several words caught my attention.  Sirens, Netflix, Australia.  I mean, I'm perking up like a meerkat.  Firstly, the word 'sirens' is usually associated with mermaids and I'm almost as intrigued by them as I am by werewolves.  The word 'Netflix' implies that it will probably get more than one season if a decent amount of people check it out.  Lastly, 'Australia.'  I think of movies like Bait (2012), which is a ridiculous creature feature that was highly entertaining to me.  Needless to say, I was ready to see what all this was about.

So, one day I pop on Netflix and there it is.  I didn't even know they'd already filmed it.  They make sure you know right off the bat that there's going to be nudity, drugs, cursing and violence.  Plenty of time to turn back if this isn't what you signed up for.  Personally, I was thrilled.  I love me some horror mermaids and I'm not easily offended. 

The vibe feels very small-town-mystery.  Everyone knows about it; no one speaks about it.  With the breathtaking sunny beaches and the families who've been here generations and commune of intensely beautiful people next door, the strangeness of this place is only amplified.  There's a feeling of confidence and terror that comes through from both societies in most scenes.  It's got sub-plots, forbidden love along with lots of secrets and betrayal!  I dig the tone.

As far as genre goes, it spans several.  It's absolutely a soap-opera.  It's also a supernatural mystery and at times, a clandestine thriller.  It's got elements of fantasy-style mythology and magic, but it's also very much representing present-day mentalities.  The costuming furthers the divide in its own way.  The Tidelanders wear bohemian-style dress with lots of bangles, bracelets and necklaces; the fisherman or townsfolk all kind of look like fish-lumberjacks and the drug runners wear nice clothes or suits.


As a whole, the story focuses more on the relationships the characters have with each other than individual character development.  That's not to say there is no evolution.  The actors are believable and pull you into their world.  Especially Augie (Aaron Jakubenko) and the children.  It feels more like a setup for opportunities in the future-especially once you get to the end.

The anti-heroine character of Cal (Charlotte Best) has been really easy to root for since she wasn't the typical heroine.  She's the definition of f*ck-up and I only wanted to see her succeed and maybe leave a little destruction in her wake.  I almost immediately hated Adrielle (Elsa Pataky), Queen of the Tidelanders.  She's clearly an egotistical bitch who refuses to see individuals even as she does what she thinks is best for all of them.  It was nerve-wracking every time it looked like she'd catch one of the Tidelanders breaking her rules.

The thing that stood out the most to me as 'different' from other shows is the way the male/female dynamic was treated.  This is a place where the women run the show and the men better get in line.  Or else.  That said, it doesn't feel like a societal commentary.  It's clear from the get-go that Adrielle takes her power too far by constantly emasculating all of the men around her.  Cal, on the other hand, respects the men in her life and while she is in no way a damsel, she represents what those relationships could, or possibly should, look like.  Also, no slut-shaming.  So that was nice.

Once I got to the end, I was left with nothing but questions.  I want to know more about the
mythology of the sirens and the Tidelanders.  Absolutely want to know more about the magic or powers.  Is everyone that supposedly died actually dead?  Can anyone be saved?  What the hell are the main characters gonna do now?!  Suffice it to say, I will be watching season 2 if they decide to make it.

MEMORABLE SCENE:
It's going to have to be the scene from the first episode when Adrielle gets back to town and goes to visit Augie.  And establish her dominance.  That really set the tone for the rest of the show, I think.

FAVORITE CHARACTER:
I gotta go with Augie.  I mean, he's probably the character that had to learn to adapt the most in the first season.  Adrielle knows what she wants.  Cal's struggling to figure out who she is.  Augie, though.  It's just curveball after curveball and he really has to wear several different hats to keep up.

QUOTE:
Bill: "They were beautiful, powerful.  No one knew who they were or what they were."
Cal: "Tidelanders."



RECOMMENDATIONS:
Do you like dark mermaid tales?  Here are some others you might enjoy:
Can you think of any other titles that remind you of Tidelands?  Let me know in the comments section.

Comments

Popular Posts!

Lady Werewolves from Film & TV

Blue Characters from Film & TV

List: Warrior Women from Film & TV