Book Review: Tower of Dawn


Tower of Dawn by Sarah J. Maas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

“I have no interest in easy friends—easy people. I think I trust them less than the difficult ones, and find them far less compelling, too.”

As a fan, this book was difficult to read and here's why:

-It takes place during the same time as the previous book. That's right-no resolution to the end of that story. Yet.

-Its cast is made up of entirely new people outside of, oh, let's say four characters (if you've read the prequel novellas). And up to this point, all of them have been peripheral characters at best.

So, you'd think that an almost 700-page-long book starring side-characters that doesn't actually further the timeline would be irrelevant, right? Nope. It was absolutely amazing and if you haven't read it yet, you'd better read it before the last one.

I said it was difficult, not that it was bad!

We really live in this entirely new kingdom we're introduced to. And it's absolutely different from anything else we've seen so far and that is really astounding considering the wonders we've already experienced.

I absolutely found parts of the story a little slow-especially the parts about Nesryn, whom I just could not connect to. The things happening around her, though, were fascinating. There are so many completely different-tempered characters, though, that I don't feel like this is a failing, but rather like it was more realistic. People are different enough that you can't like everyone.

Yrene was the breakout character for me. I got her. She's gonna change the world and no one can possibly stop her. To really get to know a new character this far along in the series and feel like she was always meant to be there? Yeah, this is why I love Sarah J. Maas. Lady knows her stuff.

I'm so excited to see how this crazy series will end!

View all my reviews

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts!

Lady Werewolves from Film & TV

Blue Characters from Film & TV

List: Warrior Women from Film & TV