Movie Review: Get Out (2017)


Going into this, I only know that it's a new thriller from Jordan Peele.  I know Peele from the skit-comedy show "Key & Peele" and the movie those two did together, Keanu.  Both are hilarious if you have a sense of humor.  Now, all I've seen from him is comedy, so it's mainly curiosity that has piqued my interest.  That and-people are talking about it, which hopefully means it's a tad bit different.  I don't watch the trailer (on a trailer ban right now...too much info in them!).  Instead, I check out the posters...which all look like horror posters.  Is this a torture flick?  I hate those!  Then I notice the main actor.

Have you ever seen the show on Netflix called "Black Mirror?"  It's this anthology show (each episode is a start-to-finish tale) that takes place in the near-future and it will stick in your mind a long time after you've finished any given episode.  It's groundbreaking.  Everyone I know that has watched it has a favorite episode, or at least one that they keep thinking about.  Mine is called "Fifteen Million Merits" and features Daniel Kaluuya.  Now, I had never seen this kid before, but, damn, did he blow me away with just one performance.  So, I see him on the cover of this poster and I say "Whatever...he's in it...I have to know!"  I was not disappointed.

This movie smiles at you and invites you in and talks nice to you.  Underneath that, there's this constant intense threat that you can't help but feel from the very beginning.  Disturbing may be a word to describe the tone?  That feeling like someone's waiting for you just around the corner and you know they have bad intentions.  That's kind of what this whole movie was like.  Is it horror?  Not the bloody kind.  If it's anything, it's psychological horror.  The pacing was great...never got bored.  You can tell the direction went well since the actors brought their A-games.  If you catch it, you can see they did this pretty cool thing with which actors were wearing which colors.  I love shit like that.

As I said before, Daniel Kaluuya (playing Chris) is astounding.  That kid just makes me feel emotions, man!  He's so damn emotive and I cannot wait to see more from him.  Everybody else was superb as well.  The people from the family are clearly a threat while being so generous and caring and candid.  You are in Chris's corner from the get-go because he is so real and likable and he just seems like a genuinely great guy.  You want him to be the hero and the victor, for sure.  You also want him and his girl to work out because they seem to get each other and be a good fit and who doesn't love a love story, right?

I'm still thinking about this movie (much like "Black Mirror") days after watching it...that means it's skyrocketed to one of the ones I'll recommend to people along with Brick and Hard Candy.  I thought I knew what was going on almost the whole time and then I was like "I was right!!  Dude, that's SO messed up!"  My favorite part, though, was right after that-when the film showed me that I didn't know what was going on.  Yes, please!

MEMORABLE SCENE:
So many memorable scenes.  The fellow at the gathering (you know the one!), or maybe the "No, nononononononooo...." scene.  ::shivers a little::

FAVORITE CHARACTER:
Chris, man.  He's thrown into this naturally awkward situation that no one wants to deal with-meet the family.  He gets much more than that and even when he should be offended or pissed off, he tries to be a good guy instead.  You never really know what people like that can be made of...not usually, anyway.

QUOTE:
Chris Washington: [about the housekeeper] "This bitch is crazy.  Bitch is crazy."

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Other weird movies that make you think: Brick (2005), Hard Candy (2005), Oldboy (2003), American Beauty (1999).  If anybody can recommend more movies like this, I am down.

EXTRAS:
I just went and watched the trailer just to see...and it's pretty much the movie.  It doesn't give everything away, but damn.  If you haven't watched it yet, just see the film.  It's amazing.

Comments

Popular Posts!

Lady Werewolves from Film & TV

Blue Characters from Film & TV

List: Warrior Women from Film & TV