Movie Review: Mr. Right (2015)


Here's the deal.  I love Anna Kendrick.  The first time I noticed her was in the Twilight series and then she just started popping up everywhere.  So far, when I've watched a movie purely based on the fact that she's in it, they've been gold: Pitch Perfect, Rapture-Palooza and now: Mr. Right.  Girl's got that talent of picking movies to make that just turn out awesome.  Kind of like Bruce Willis.  But different.  Anywho!  All I knew going into this was it was an action-comedy starring the lovely Anna and the quirky-as-hell Sam Rockwell.

The tone of this movie starts out like two others that immediately popped into my head: Firstly, we have that weird scene like the very beginning of Old School.  Yeah, so, someone's a liar.  Then, we roll right into a Bridget Jones' Diary-type sequence of scenes.  Only with threats and throwing and a closet.  These serve to tell us what an absolute nutcase our lead character, Martha, is.  After a series of bad decisions, she runs directly into Sam Rockwell's "Mr. Right."  It's instant-connection-possibly-psycho-love-adorable-witty-banter-time.

The film kept my interest by seamlessly blending gangs and assassins and peculiar romance.  That's just my bag, though.  The absolute natural weirdness of the two main characters had me constantly guessing what they might or might not do next as well as wondering why these two hadn't done a movie together until now.  This was absolutely the perfect choice.  Every time you think you know what's going to happen, maybe it does.  But not in the way you thought it might.  Divine.

What else?  You know how sometimes you'll watch a movie and everything is great-except you don't care what happens to any of them because no one has any personality?  This is the opposite of that.  There is so much charisma in these characters!  I mean, down to the last one.  No one has a line that doesn't serve to make you smirk or suddenly feel like you want them to succeed or fail.  You've got a fantastic array of actors like Tim Roth, RZA and Anson Mount doing exactly that in the background of this bizarre courtship.

MEMORABLE SCENE:
Every Anna Kendrick scene from 2/3s of the film in until the end?  The scene where you meet Sam Rockwell's character?  The gummi bears?  Maybe you'd say all the Sam Rockwell scenes?  I don't know how you live your life.  The whole damn movie, I think.

QUOTE:
Sophie: "Martha, at some point you're just going to have to start recognizing these red flags."
Martha: [excitedly] "Why? Do you think he's evil? What if he is?  You know when I was little, I had this fantasy that I was dating Lex Luthor."
Sophie: "From Superman? Wasn't he, like, a genius? You guy's more like sexy Rainman."

RATING:
10 of 10 of 10 of 10.  I know I'm super sweet when it comes to ratings but I just watched this yesterday and I'm seriously considering watching it again.  As in when I get done writing this post.  So, 10, right?

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Did you like American Ultra or maybe True Romance?  These are the movies I'd recommend if you're into this one.

Comments

Popular Posts!

Lady Werewolves from Film & TV

Blue Characters from Film & TV

List: Warrior Women from Film & TV