Movie Review: Victor Frankenstein (2015)


First of all, can I just point out that I went into this super-excited-like?  I'm a big fan of gothic horror and classic literature and when they come together-man!  Do you also like shows like Penny Dreadful or movies like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?  I think I'll start a list of them.  Anywho...It was exactly what I expected and completely surprised me at the same time.  I kind of love that.

The tone of the film was absolutely period/gothic.  Everything was elaborate and beautiful and completely covered in dirt.  Everyone was proper and those who weren't stuck out-I'm looking at you, Victor.  The setting and atmosphere couldn't speak more to this era with this story.  It's also got a fairly sinister overtone that kind of has you guessing if you really know what's going to happen next.  It was a tad stressful, but in a good way movie-wise.

This film was engulfing not because it had twists.  No, it had spins.  It took these characters that you know so well and it embellished upon them.  They made layers where there was previously only "Let's build a monster!"  These characters have backstories and you know what?  They evolve.  Oh, yeah.  They become people with traumatic pasts and uncertain futures and that is wicked compelling.  You keep watching because the more information you get, the more you feel like you need to know a bit more.  It's not a mystery by any means.  It just won't tell you everything at once.

Let's talk about the actors that the genius casting director chose:  The production stills would have you believe that James McAvoy played a stoic and pensive version of Victor Frankenstein.  What we actually get is a frequent fluctuation between eccentric and outright deranged.  Daniel Radcliffe played his character, Igor, with a beautiful balance between eager excitement and intelligent caution.  And then what came to me as a surprise but is still too interesting not to share:  Who do I thank for casting the guy who plays Moriarty on "Sherlock" as the religious zealot cop who has it in for Frankenstein??  Her name is Jina Jay, by the way.  The casting directer.  It felt important to  point out.

MEMORABLE SCENE:
The college experiment.  I mean, there's plenty of memorable stuff happening all over, but that's what stands out to me.

QUOTE:
Igor: "It's alive."
Victor Von Frankenstein: "Isn't that rather obvious?"

RATING:
I don't know if you've noticed this, but I only really review movies I liked.  I get that this won't be everyone's cup of tea.  If you're like me, though and you love a good period thriller with top-notch acting over well-written fiction, you'll give it an 8/10 too.

Comments

Popular Posts!

Lady Werewolves from Film & TV

Blue Characters from Film & TV

List: Warrior Women from Film & TV