Movie Review: Nightbreed (1990)



So, you see this movie with a bunch of creatures on the cover and think..."Cool...this looks 80s...like Lost Boys.  I liked Lost Boys."  Then, the credits tell you it's a Clive Barker story.  Okay.  Hellraiser was cool, too.  Great makeup effects.  So, time to strap in.

Based on the writer, I thought this would be a horror film, but it's closer to just a creature feature.  Think more along the lines of "They Live" or "Ginger Snaps."  It's almost gothic, but not quite.  It's horror-driven without actually ever being scary-which worked out great.  I don't know...how 'bout you watch it and tell me what it was?  In any case, it was my bag.

Super-young 90's-hair Craig Sheffer (A River Runs Through It, "One Tree Hill") can't stop dreaming about monsters.  After telling his psychiatrist, who is played by David Cronenberg (what?!), Mr. Awesome Hair gets accused of so much murder.  You keep watching because you have to find out who is committing all of this murder-whether it's him or not.  Is it??  Is it him?  Also, are the monsters real?  We don't know!!  Gah!

So, true to form, the makeup was astounding.  Just top freaking notch.  Every single creature would have passed on "Face-Off."  Do you watch that?  It's a monster make-up competition show and it's fascinating to watch.  The beasties themselves were all very personality-driven and even if they only had a flash of a scene, quite memorable.  Anywho, if all of that doesn't make you want to watch this dated monster movie, it's probably not for you.

MEMORABLE SCENE:
Definitely when the lead character's girlfriend goes walking around the place where the monsters live.  So much to take in in those few minutes.

QUOTE:
Boone: "Then it's true."
Peloquin: "Everything is true.  God's an Astronaut.  Oz is Over the Rainbow and Midian is where the monsters live."

RATING:
This was up there, for me.  I know at this point, it seems like I love every single movie that I watch, but I'm really just telling you guys about the good ones.  Eventually, I'll hate something and tell you all about it.  I give this an 8 out of 10.

Comments

Popular Posts!

Lady Werewolves from Film & TV

Blue Characters from Film & TV

List: Warrior Women from Film & TV