Movie Review: The Man in the Iron Mask (1998)



All I knew was I was about to watch a movie that featured the Musketeers and a super-young Leo DiCaprio.  I love a good swashbuckler, don't you?  After finally watching it, I truly can't imagine what took me so long.

The film features older, retired versions of the Three Musketeers; each off doing their own thing.  The king of France, Louis XIV (Leo), is a little shit whom you immediately hate and the Musketeers pretty much get brought back together to oppose him.  Also, there's actually a man in an iron mask>>!!  That's kind of all I can say without giving anything away.  The tone of the film is adventurous.  I thought it would be more drama-y, but no-it's much more fun than you would think.

The king in the movie, historically speaking, is the son of the king from all of the other Three Musketeers movies.  So, you know, that's cool.  I can be a French royalty geek if I want to-don't judge.  You keep watching to see if they'll actually get to overthrow the king.  Thing is, it still feels like you're missing a piece of the puzzle.  You are, and that's fine-just keep watching.

There are so very many wonderful actors in this film.  There's Leo, who does an amazing job all over, and then there are the Musketeers.  You have D'Artagnan, played by Gabriel Byrne, Jeremy Irons as Aramis, John Malkovich as Athos and Gerard Depardieu as Porthos.  It's truly a genius cast and if you have no other reason to see it, do it for them.  It's completely worth it.  Also, it's kind of fun to watch a sequel that's not a sequel, except that it is.

MEMORABLE SCENE:
I like the scene in which the Musketeers show "magnificent valor."  You'll see.

QUOTE:
Porthos: "Stop praying and revel with me, Aramis!  I need my spirits lifted.  I'm old, I'm weak...my strength is gone."
Aramis: "Porthos!  I'm praying."
Porthos: "I just said you're praying.  Are you deaf, too?  I know you're blind, because if you'd seen the tits that just walked out of here, you'd have tears in your eyes."

RATING:
A lively 9 our of 10.  Even if you don't like period pieces, this was great fun to watch!

Comments

Popular Posts!

Lady Werewolves from Film & TV

Blue Characters from Film & TV

List: Warrior Women from Film & TV