Movie Review: Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014)



If you don't like swearing and (more graphic than I expected) violence, this is not the movie for you.  Since I'm a fan of both these things, I loved it!  I was only surprised by the violence because it's British, which is totally not fair.  It's one of the better action/comedies to surface this year.   The tone of the film was comedic and self-aware.  Think 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' or 'The Other Guys' meets James Bond.  It's kind of like that.

The reason you get so invested is the well-acted main character, Eggsy, played by up-and-comer Taron Egerton.  They make it clear he's had it rough, but even so, you want his sarcastic ass to become a spy.  At one point, I realized I was only halfway through the movie and got excited about it, because that meant I had that much more to watch.  Yeah-that's entertainment.

If that's not enough, you have Colin Firth as the serious (while also slightly-nonsensical) mentor, Harry, and Sam Jackson as the super-genius, lisp-having big bad, Valentine.  Mark Strong's in it, too; and although his character is understated, it was a different kind of role for him and I enjoyed seeing him play it.  Did I mention there's a chick with sword-feet in there, too?  Because there is.

MEMORABLE SCENE:
Definitely the church scene.  Just, just wow.  If I'd had popcorn it would have been gone by the time it was over.  And....that's all I'm gonna say about that.

QUOTE:
Harry Hart: [quoting William Horman] "Manners maketh man."  Do you know what that means?  Then let me teach you a lesson."

RATING:
This gets 8.5-9 out of 10.  I think viewing it a second time will tell for sure.

Comments

Popular Posts!

Lady Werewolves from Film & TV

Blue Characters from Film & TV

List: Warrior Women from Film & TV