Movie Review: Beauty and the Beast (2014)



Have I ever mentioned how much I love fairy tales?  I think this one's my favorite.  So, with the live-action Disney version still two years out, I decided to check out this French version (meaning yeah, they speak French the whole time) because it didn't look like it would have the same quality problems as some other recent fairy tale adaptations.  Let's be real-it's more fun to watch a man who looks like he's actually a "beast" than a man pretending in a fur suit.  Just sayin.'

The tone of the movie was fantastical and a little suspenseful.  Sometimes it got a bit frightening, but not in a horror-flick way.  At the core, it's basically about all of these people who are only in it for themselves and then there's this one girl, just the one, who will sacrifice herself for someone else.  For her to live in the same world as the rest of these terrible people feels almost cruel.  Almost.

It's compelling because of two things:  One-you know this story.  Everyone does.  You know how it begins and how it should end.  There's something intriguing about watching a story you already know to see what this version has done to make it stand out; or what they got wrong.  Two-they added in the Beast's backstory!  Told in flashbacks, you get the whole reason he was turned into a Beast and it's not just "What up?  I'm a witch and you're selfish-Beast time!"

The cinematography was sublime.  Every shot was beautiful and the whole film was dancing with color.  I do enjoy a vivid bit of visual fiction!  The only actor I recognized was Vincent Cassel (Black Swan, Ocean's Thirteen), but everyone did great.  Also, you remember how the Beast wasn't the only one cursed in the story?  They keep that part intact in the most adorable way.  I'll say nothing else.  But it's wicked cute.

MEMORABLE SCENE:
The outside garden scene.  It's downright mystical and a bit surprising, if I'm honest.  I didn't expect them to go that far with it.  Brava and all that.

QUOTE:
Belle: "Who does this castle belong to?"
The Beast: "Everything here belongs to me."
Belle: "You talk like any other man.  It's a little disappointing."

RATING:
I loved this, so 8.5 out of 10?  I'd recommend it to anyone who likes fairy tales and anyone who doesn't mind subtitles.  If those aren't your thing, skip it.  But it's a good date movie, for sure.  All magical and whatnot.

Comments

Popular Posts!

Lady Werewolves from Film & TV

Blue Characters from Film & TV

List: Warrior Women from Film & TV